Macquarie City Campus
Appeals against final grades
What's it about?
Please make sure to read the new grade appeals policy carefully by following the link below:
Please note that:
- The absolute deadline for submission of a Grade Appeal will be 20 working days from the published result date for the relevant unit. Any exceptions to this requirement will need documented exceptional circumstances and approval by the Deputy Registrar.
- Exam script viewing is no longer compulsory but you still need to provide evidence for clerical errors and may wish to view your exam. You can view your exams by booking a time on the designated exam script view days.
There are specified deadlines associated with this process. The deadlines have been established for Session 1 2013 below for foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate units. Note that, if you do not meet these deadlines there may be delays in the resolution of any grading or unfairness problems.
Making a booking
Script viewing bookings are arranged via email and you will be required to register and nominate one of the specified times for the unit that you will want to view the script for:
- All script viewing for the Macquarie University Foundation Program units in Session 1 will be held on 2 July 2013 and 4 July 2013 in the following timeslots:
Tuesday 2 July, every 20 minutes between 9am – 1pm
Thursday 4 July, every 20 minutes between 1pm – 5pm
- Please email email@example.com and nominate the day and time that suits you best from the two dates listed above. Only emails sent from your Macquarie student email account will be accepted.
- Booking emails will only be accepted between 9am on Monday 17 June 2013 and 12pm on Wednesday 19 June 2013.
- Your booking is not confirmed until you receive a confirmation email. The confirmation email will be sent only to your student email account and will confirm the time and location of your script viewing session as well as any particular script viewing rules.
Note: If you do not receive a confirmation email, it means that your registration was not completed successfully. If this is the case, please ensure that you go through the registration process again to successful completion otherwise you will not be able to view your script during the script viewing period.
Exam script viewing
Before lodging an application for Grade Appeal, it is recommended that students make a booking to review their exam script
Attend your allocated time slot and review your final or take home exam (if part of your unit assessment) in person or by proxy (needs Acrobat v8 or later) if you are unable to physically attend the session.
- Please make sure you nominate the correct unit when making your booking as no alternative booking times will be provided if the wrong unit has been selected.
- If you have previously viewed your exam scripts then you cannot view the same script again for the same unit.
- You cannot view exam scripts for units that are "I" or "IS" as the grades for these units have not yet been finalised.
For all concerns relating to your final grades, including clerical errors and procedural unfairness, students may submit a Grade Appeal application, clearly specifying their reasons and evidence for those relevant grounds.
The application process:
- Go to www.ask.mq.edu.au
- Click on 'Current Students'.
- Log onto the student portal using your OneID.
- Refer to the left-hand side of the screen and look under 'Submit', you must select the 'Grade Appeal' option.
- Then you need to follow the necessary prompts in order to submit your application including specifying the ground(s) that you are appealing on and the evidences to support them.
Grade Appeal procedural irregularities
Students who believe that there were procedural irregularities in the way that their Grade Appeal application was carried out may choose to follow this step. This application will be forwarded to the Academic Senate where outcomes can take a significant time to be resolved.
The application process:
- Students are required to write a letter outlining the details they would like to bring to the University's attention with regards to the procedural irregularities with which their Grade Appeal applications were handled. This letter should be typewritten and signed.
- Attach any relevant supporting documents (original or certified copies).
- This letter is to be submitted to Student Enquiry Service (Macquarie University, North Ryde, Level 1 in C8A) addressed to 'Grading Appeals Committee'.
You can only submit this within 5 working days of receiving outcomes regarding your Grade Appeal applications.